In Preparation for Brexit on 31 October 2019

Dear Valued Customers,

As you are already aware, the United Kingdom will be leaving the EU on 31 October 2019.

We aim to keep you as informed as possible on the pending Brexit and how you can prepare for all the possible outcomes. With this in mind we advise the following steps to help you prepare your business.

You should now have a UK EORI (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) number starting with ‘GB’. If you have not done this already CLICK HERE to register for one, we advise you do this as soon as possible.

You will also need to decide if you will be using Sandford Freight to complete your customs declarations, or if you will be doing them yourself.

What To Do As An Importer

  • We recommend you to have a registration number for Transitional Simplified Procedures (TSP). If you do not already have one we advise you apply for one now. A TSP number will ensure importing post Brexit to be as smooth as possible.
  • Post Brexit we advise you to check the import tariffs for any customs duties changes.
  • If you aim to use TSP to import goods (of which has customs or duties payable) you will need to apply for a Duty Deferment Account.

What To Do As An Exporter

  • Speak to the company that moves your products to see if you need to provide any additional information.
  • Check with the company/person you’re selling your goods to are prepared to bring them into their county and they are following that country’s customs procedures.
  • Do your goods need an export licence? If yes, there may be extra certificates or procedures that you will need to follow.

If you are regularly exporting goods through multiple Common Transit Convention territories (the EU, Turkey, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Republic of North Macedonia and Serbia) we recommend you consider a different customs practice. Common Transit Convention is an international customs procedure. You may also want to look into Common Transit Convention if you wish to relocate your goods away from the border to carry out customs procedures somewhere else. With this in mind you may want to think about becoming an authorise consignee. This will permit you to begin the export at your own premises rather than at a government office.

Temporary movement of goods we recommend ATA Carnets which are likely be best for you. For more information on temporary movements CLICK HERE.

Please keep up to date will all the Brexit news here on our Sandford website.

Please be advised all the above information has been extracted from the UK Government website. For the full article please find here.